When Emiline of Sugar Plum Sweets announced her Pub Crawl event for St. Pat’s I knew I had to join in. I love the flavours of Irish Coffee and I thought they’d be perfect for a pound cake. (Last year for Saint Patrick’s Day I made these Chocolate Whiskey Souffle Tarts from Bon Appetit. They were so chocolatey delicious and they kept very well frozen for several months to be pulled out and baked directly from the oven for a quick sophisticated dessert. Let me recommend them also. )
But for this year I made this pound cake and served it with Whiskey flavoured whipped cream, but it’s good just sprinkled with powdered sugar as well.
Irish Coffee Pound Cake
- 1/2 pound butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant Espresso powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup vanilla infused granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup chopped good quality chocolate
- Whipped cream flavoured with Bailey’s or Jameson’s Irish Whiskey as you wish or confectioner’s sugar
Cream butter, Bailey’s, salt, nutmeg and Espresso powder until fluffy. Add sugar slowly and beat in until well mixed. Add 4 of the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Mix the flour and cocoa together and add a little at a time. Add the last egg and beat in. Fold in the chocolate. Put in a buttered and greased loaf pan, smooth the top and place in a cold oven. Set the oven to 300F and bake for about 80 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Remove to a rack and cool completely. Slice thinly and serve with whipped cream or powdered sugar.
Thanks to Emiline for hosting this event.
Erin go Brea!