Have you ever made homemade mustard? Oh it’s so easy and so good and you can put just the flavours you like in it.
Mustard -basic recipe
- 4 Tablespoons yellow mustard powder- commercial or make your own just make sure it’s pulverized well and sift it if you do
(add a Tablespoon of flour if you make your own powdered mustard)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup yellow mustard seeds, ground coarsely in a mortar or spice grinder
- 1/4 cup brown mustard seeds, ground coarsely in a mortar or spice grinder
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar or other you like (I used champagne vinegar in this batch)
- 1/4 cup other liquid= beer, orange juice etc. (I used hard cider in this batch)
- add-ins such as herbs, honey (I added 2 Tablespoons of my peach jam to this one)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
Pour the boiling water over the powder, ground seeds and salt. Let sit until absorbed a bit and add the other ingredients. Let this all sit for a couple of hours at room temperature until the liquid is absorbed. Stir, taste and adjust for any seasoning or flavour. Store in the fridge. This one is particularly good on ham- I think.
Hope you enjoy!