Have you ever made homemade mustard? Oh it’s so easy and so good and you can put just the flavours you like in it.
Mustard -basic recipe
- 4 Tablespoons yellow mustard powder- commercial or make your own just make sure it’s pulverized well and sift it if you do
(add a Tablespoon of flour if you make your own powdered mustard)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup yellow mustard seeds, ground coarsely in a mortarÂ or spice grinder
- 1/4 cup brown mustard seeds, ground coarsely in a mortar or spice grinder
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar or other you likeÂ (I used champagne vinegar in this batch)
- 1/4 cup other liquid= beer, orange juice etc. (I used hard cider in this batch)
- add-ins such as herbs, honey (I added 2 Tablespoons of my peach jam to this one)
- 1/2Â to 1 teaspoon salt
Pour the boiling water over the powder, ground seeds and salt. Let sit until absorbed a bit and add the other ingredients. Let this all sit for a couple of hours at room temperature until the liquid is absorbed. Stir, taste and adjust for any seasoning or flavour. Store in the fridge. This one is particularly good on ham- I think.
Hope you enjoy!
Thanks Sally! That makes me very happy!
Since you posted this, I can tell you that I’ve made it a few times and it’s a winner!
Sally- thanks- hey I hadn’t thought about it for Christmas- good idea! xo
Baking Soda- Oh I hope your do try it it’s really so easy.
Maryann- Thanks xox
Courtney- I think this would be great for you- you’re so adventurous with flavours!
O wow I want to do this.
Yes, I’ve done homemade mustard. And you are so right..it’s so easy! Thanks for reminding us 🙂
I love it! Have thought about it (like: maybe I could..) but now with yr recipe at hand I will!
What an original idea. I’ve never even thought about making my own mustard before. If put in pretty jars it would make a nice present.
Dhanggit- Aw thanks- you’re lovely!
Deborah- try it- you’ll like it 🙂
Marie- Thanks 🙂 Yes- use Colman’s dry mustard in the yellow can (or another brand if you prefer) I always have some on hand for salad dressings and mustard plasters as well!
Oooh Gabi, You could bottle this up and sell it! Why don’t you? Beer, OJ, hard cider,honey, peach jam! I love the whole idea. Are you talking about the dry mustard in the yellow can?
I’ve never even thought to make my own mustard! I bet that is quite tasty, though!
wow!! homemade mustard..im down on my knees bowing you 🙂 this is terrific!