These are so deliciously easy and fast to make that they can be downright dangerous. Just fair warning to you all. 🙂
Twisted Sweet Rolls
- 2 packages active dry yeast, proofed in 1/4 cup of warm water
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup warm milk (I use whole milk, you can substitute 2% if wanted)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Vanilla sugar or plain granulated
- 2 teaspoons of fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 large eggs
- 4-1/2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Â 1-1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup toasted almonds, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, milk and vanillaÂ extractÂ together and add the sugar, salt and orange zest, mix to combine. Beat the eggs and add them along with the proofed yeast to the mixture in the bowl. Add the flour by 1/2 cupsful until a stiff dough forms. You may need a bit more or less of flour depending on your environment and the moisture content of your flour.Â Beat it well with the dough hook or by hand. Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
Prepare the filling by creaming the butter and then mixingÂ the ingredients together in a separate bowl.
Roll the dough out to a 24″ by 12″ rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Spread the filling evenly along half of the long side of the rectangle. Fold the dough over the filling and cut the resulting 24″ x 6″ rectangle into 1″ strips with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.Â Twist each strip several times and then wrap it around itself into a spiral, tuck the ends under. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving roomÂ between to rise.Â Rise until light and doubled, about an hour.Â Preheat the oven to 375F and bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden brown. Make the glaze, brush the tops and return to the oven for 3-5 minutes. Cool on a rack or serve warm. Be careful of hot caramel-nut filling. Enjoy!